Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, January 05, 2017

On being a Hospice Jedi


Note: One of the joys of being a Hospice Chaplain is that, every two weeks, I get to provide an opening meditation for the IDT (Interdisciplinary Team) meeting. I try to find different ways to provide the staff with a way to think about the spirituality of their work. I love using poetry - especially contemporaries like Anne Sexton, Annie Dillard, and May Sarton along with Emily Dickinson, Gerard Manly Hopkins, and John Donne. In the past, I've reflected on what I've learned about Hospice from children's fairy tales as well as Winnie The Pooh. This one is from Yoda. It was well received by my team. I'm happy to share it with you. 

Everything I needed to know about being a Hospice Jedi,
I learned from Yoda in Star Wars





5. “The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.” 

6. “Always pass on what you have learned.”

7. Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

8. “Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.”



11. (Said just before Yoda dies) “Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have. Twilight is upon me, soon night must fall.” 


Chaplain Elizabeth 
January 4, 2017

No comments: