Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Washed in the Blood of the Lamb

Every time Good Shepherd Sunday comes 'round, I can't get that song out of my head.

You know the one: Are you washed in the Blood of the Lamb? If you don't know it, you can hear it by clicking here.

In case you need them, here are the lyrics:
  1. Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r?
    Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
    Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?
    Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
    • Refrain:
      Are you washed in the blood,
      In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
      Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow?
      Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
  2. Are you walking daily by the Savior’s side?
    Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
    Do you rest each moment in the Crucified?
    Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
  3. When the Bridegroom cometh will your robes be white?
    Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
    Will your soul be ready for the mansions bright,
    And be washed in the blood of the Lamb?
  4. Lay aside the garments that are stained with sin,
    And be washed in the blood of the Lamb;
    There’s a fountain flowing for the soul unclean,
    Oh, be washed in the blood of the Lamb!
Not exactly the way I would word my own theology about Jesus the Lamb of God,  nor does it accurately reflect the fullness of my theology of baptism, but there is something compelling about the imagery, isn't there? Maybe it's the words sung to such a cheery little tune that does me in every time.

I understand that the image is one that is familiar to those who raise sheep. When a sheep does not survive the birth of her little lamb, the shepherd will slit the dead mother's throat and pour the blood over another sheep who is nursing her young so that she will smell like the dead mother and her new little lamb will nurse from the one who isn't her mother.

It reminds me of the mythology that surrounds the pelican, an image that is often seen in churches of seaside communities. The myth is that the pelican mother, if she is unable to find enough food to feed her chicks, will pierce her own side with her beak so that the chicks will be nourished with her blood.

I know, I know. The words to this hymn were inspired by words from the Book of Revelation (7:14).

And yes, I know that the scripture appointed for today had nothing to do with Jesus the Lamb of God but Jesus the Good Shepherd.

So, why does this hymn always haunt me every year on Easter IV?

I suspect it has something to do with the seeming juxtaposition of the dual natures of Jesus - the Lamb of God and the Good Shepherd.

As incongruous as the two are, I think there is something compelling and truthful about the two together. Leadership, especially in the institutional church, is often sacrificial. I've heard more than one burnt-to-a-crisp presbyter or organist or youth director or parish administrator say, "I've given one pint more than the minimum of my blood to that church. I'm done."

I've also heard them bleat pitifully, "I thought Jesus was crucified, once for all".

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's because I'm the national convener of The Episcopal Women's Caucus. Whatever the reason, I've been getting more and more calls these days from women - and some men - about being absolutely burnt to a crisp over parish ministry.

They are tired of the constant hum of low-level bickering. Sick unto death of the negativity. Deeply concerned by the pastoral insensitivity and unresponsiveness of their bishop - who is supposed to be the Shepherd to the flock of shepherds who tend the flock of God.

Instead, they feel like dumb sheep. Dumb for staying in that church - or The Church - or that diocese for as long as they have. Dumb for making this vocational choice. Dumb for thinking that they could actually make a difference and turn things around.

Being 'washed in the blood'- for them - means being beaten and bruised and bloodied in the Name of Jesus and they are done.

Jesus the Lamb of God. Jesus the Good Shepherd.

Can there be one without the other? Of course there can. Truth be told, there are lots and lots and lots of healthy, vibrant congregations all around which are being led by skilled, experienced, healthy, stable, psychologically and spiritually mature clergy and assisted by great staff.

I think what draws me to this hymn on Good Shepherd Sunday are the questions. I think they are questions good shepherds need to ask themselves from time to time. 

We need to be real clear about what sacrifices we have made and which ones we are willing to take on so we don't get splattered with our own blood - or cause the bleeding of others.

We need to be certain to keep our baptismal vows at the center of whatever ministry we do - inside or outside the institutional church - so that we are clear that, if there be any savior it is Jesus.

Not us.

Jesus is the Lamb of God. Jesus is the Good Shepherd.

Somewhere in the midst of those two very different images is a message for any who would do a work of ministry in His Name.

Perhaps that message can be found in the questions of the first verse of this old hymn:
 Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
I don't know. Maybe that's why this hymn comes to me on Good Shepherd Sunday. 

8 comments:

revrob said...

Thx Elizabeth, I feel you were addressing many of us who have been injured by the meanness of institutions. I was just talking with a college friend who was in a # of Senior positions as Clergy, Seminary President, leader in church renewal. Now he feels run over & hurt by the church and feels he gave away his life & the return was without reconstitution for him & many others. Another friend who gave his life to the church feels utterly disheartened bec he gave his best efforts to opening the door for women priests & now he feels a virtual war bet genders is under way: men r the opponents for women in the church, he feels, and he dispairs. Under the Lamb, the Lion of Courage, Rev R

Brother David said...

When I was in the US for seminary, we attended both Episcopal and MCC congregations. At MCC we used to sing this hymn, but we would do a switch up at the refrain/chorus. We sang the verses and music to Are you Washed in the Blood of the Lamb with the refrain and music to There is Power in the Blood.

There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

RevRob - I think, perhaps, we ought to start talking about this. We need to "come out" about the truth of this.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I love that change, Brother David. It speaks such truth.

JCF said...

There is a fountain filled with blood
Flowing from Emmanuel's veins.
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilt and stains!


Just one of many things I learned from my (Baptist) ex, that I can't forget (though I've tried! :-X)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
First let me say thank you to you and all the clergy that put up with those of us in the pews. I know it is not easy. I could not do your job. We are grateful even if we do not always show it.
Now I say the rest just to help you understand the mistake you have made related to a shepherd's job in the birthing and rearing stage. You stated, "understand that the image is one that is familiar to those who raise sheep. When a sheep does not survive the birth of her little lamb, the shepherd will slit the dead mother's throat and pour the blood over another sheep who is nursing her young so that she will smell like the dead mother and her new little lamb will nurse from the one who isn't her mother." This is not correct at all. I had a flock of 50 Suffolk sheep while growing up. I watched and helped birth many a lamb. Generally, the ewes gave birth on the coldest nights. And it was only on the coldest of these nights with the wind howling that a ewe would have trouble. The lamb might be turned the wrong way or the cord might be around a lamb's neck. This meant I had to get a bucket of hot water, take off my coat in say 20 degrees, wash my arms and hands with soap, and stick my arm up the birth cannal to try and turn the lamb or remove the cord or such. I often had to call my Dad or my Agriculture teacher for help. If a mother did not live, I did not slit her throat (how disgusting!) I merely took the after birth that I had saved from a prior ewe (yes we stored it in the barn or in the freezer), and we wiped the soon to be adoptive ewe's after birth on the new lamb and presented it to the proposed adoptive ewe, if you will. The ewe would smell it and realize it was hers and starting cleaning off the new lamb. This is how we tricked other ewes into taking an orphan lamb.
I love your blog. But I do not think you have been around sheep.
Maria

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Maria - You are right - I have not been around sheep. Do you suppose other shepherds treat dead ewes and newborn lambs differently? Yours sounds like a less violent means. Does that mean that others use other, "disgusting" (agreed) methods?

By telling the story of what I was told (from a shepherd) about the background imagery of this hymn, I was not trying to relate this to my theology of the role of a shepherd. I wasn't even talking about clergy but all those who work as Servant leaders in the church.

I just want to be clear about that

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

JCF - I'm sure that imagery was helpful at some time. I do not find it helpful now.